8.05.2013

accidental vacation


this past week I accidentally went on vacation.

I mean... I was on vacation in Thailand - intentionally - then flew back to the states for a two month vacation. but then I arrived home and the natural evolution of things had me reaching less and less for my camera and my laptop. [part of that may be the inconsistent internet access] even though my phone is a real phone again for the the first time in a year I keep forgetting to use it. I'm not constantly checking facebook, instagram, bloglovin, whatever.

it's been nice, actually. even if I didn't mean to check out.

I've been running on dirt roads and through suburbia, eating lots and lots of bacon [extra crispy], adventuring with my family, shopping for clothes that fit American-shaped bodies, fighting with my parents' internet, drinking gluten-free beers, cuddling with my kittens, talking Pokemon with my nephews, and receiving phone calls from voices I've never heard before.

being home is both awesome and surreal. [reverse culture shock? it's a real thing.] for now I'm just going to take it easy and let the stories come as they will. you'll be seeing Taipei and Bangkok mixed in with Detroit and Lake Michigan. my apologies in advance if the globe-hopping causes any confusion, but I've got so much to say about every corner of the world right now.

now, where do I start? 


2 comments:

  1. I've been following you on Twitter for a little while but didn't realize you were from Michigan until a few days ago! (And now I see on your about page that MSU is where you and your husband met as well.) I live in metro Detroit, about an hour away from EL.

    I hope you enjoy your stay in MI! I haven't lived abroad, but I've traveled extensively and I know what you mean about home being both awesome and surreal. I can't wait to hear more of your stories, both on this and the other side of the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. reverse culture shock is a killer. get lots of sleep to combat it. eat more bacon. taco bell. go to redbox while you're here. a lot! get netflix! live at target and just roll around on the well-manicured lawns of suburbia. enjoy your cats. do a video for your blog! have fun & call me! or text x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...